Is Balanced “Old School”?
- Lots of conversation on balanced portfolios lately with some perspectives considering the concept of “balanced” equity and bond portfolios to be somewhat old school. The performance may warrant another perspective and current yields raise other concerns.
- Year-to-date the SPDR 500 ETF (SPY) has returned about 18%. Using that as a base line some balanced indices tracking different allocations to fixed income have performed moderately well due to the continuation of the low interest rate environment.
- I looked at five different balanced indices (equities and bonds) to explore the returns, risks and opportunities:
- Performance: YTD 2019 performance has been robust with higher equity exposure and longer duration exposure combinations performing well.
- Risk: Near term risk is muted due to low expectations of rising rates in the next 12 month. The risk is elevated for longer term horizons were rising rates can take a bite out of bond prices and returns can turn negative.
- Old school? Equity and bond balanced investment objectives have been around for ages and have proven to still work. No one has seen this rate environment before so predicting outcomes or timing of outcomes is a challenge. Balancing a portfolio for uncertain risks still seems to work.
Source: S&P Dow Jones Indices, LLC. Data as 8/20/2019.
Various Equity & Bond Balanced Perspectives Year-to-Date
Sources: S&P Dow Jones Indices LLC. Table is provided for illustrative purposes only. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Data as 8/20/2019.
Data Resources Used in this Report
- At this time, JR Rieger does not own balanced funds or ETFs.
Click here for a print friendly version of this report.
Copyright © 2019 Rieger Report® LLC. All rights reserved. Redistribution in whole or in part is prohibited without written permission of the Rieger Report® LLC. All information provided by the Rieger Report® LLC is for informational purposes only, impersonal, and not tailored to the needs of any person, entity or group or persons. It should not be considered financial advice. The Rieger Report® LLC receives compensation in connection with licensing its research, advertising on its website, speaking and consulting services.
Past performance of any investment product or index referenced in the Rieger Report® is not an indication of or guarantee of future results.
The Rieger Report® LLC is not an investment advisor, and the Rieger Report® LLC makes no representation regarding the advisability of investing in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle. A decision to invest in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle should not be made in reliance on any statements set forth in this document. Prospective investors are advised to make an investment in any such fund or other vehicle only after carefully considering the risks associated with investing in such funds, as detailed in an offering memorandum or similar document that is prepared by or on behalf of the issuer of the investment fund or other investment product or vehicle. A financial advisor should be contacted to determine what may be best for your individual needs. The Rieger Report® LLC is not a financial or tax advisor. A tax advisor should be consulted to evaluate the impact of any tax-exempt securities on portfolios and the tax consequences of making any particular investment decision. No legal relationship is created between you and Rieger Report® LLC.
The Rieger Report® LLC does not act as a fiduciary or investment advisor. While the Rieger Report® LLC has obtained information from sources it believes to be reliable, the Rieger Report® LLC does not perform any audit or undertake verification of any information it receives.
The Rieger Report® Rankings are opinions of relative ranking among the peer group analyzed as of the date expressed and not statements of facts. Rieger Report® model portfolios are intended for illustration only. Any opinion or analysis decisions are not to be construed as recommendations to purchase, hold or sell any securities or to make any investment decisions, and do not address the suitability of any security. The Rieger Report® LLC does not assume any obligation to update the content in this publication in any form or format.
Your use of any information from this document or presentation is at your own risk and without recourse against Rieger Report® LLC, its members, managers, or employees. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Rieger Report® LLC disclaims any and all liability in the event any information, commentary, analysis, and/or opinions prove to be inaccurate, incomplete or unreliable, or result in any investment or other losses.