What are the June 2019 Bond ETF Flows Telling Us?
- Confusing picture of fund flows indicate the possibility of institutions rebalancing as we prepare for the second half.
- Clear outflow leaders include extremely short U.S. Treasury (GBIL & SHY) seeing a total of over $5billion in outflows and floating rate asset classes like floating rate corporate bonds (FLOT) and senior loans (BKLN) seeing a total outflow of over $1billion.
- Enormous inflows have been in iShares iBoxx $ Investment Grade Corporate ETF (LQD) with a surge of over $5billion month to date.
- iShares collected over $6billion in assets in its short treasury (SHV) and 7-10 Year treasury (IEF) ETFs as investors seem to extending out the curve.
- High yield corporate bonds saw a bit of a rebound as the iShares iBoxx $ High Yield Corporate ETF (HYG) collected $1.5billion so far in June. It’s major competitor SPDR Bloomberg Barclays High Yield Bond ETF (JNK) collected only $160million during this time period.
- Two aggregate bond ETFs, Vanguards BND and iShares AGG together collected over $2.6billion (approximately $1.3billion each).
- Other notable ETFs include the iShares J.P. Morgan USD Emerging Markets Bond ETF (EMB) which collected nearly $900million.
Bond ETF Flows June 2019 (As of June 26, 2019):
Top Five Inflow ETFs
Bottom Five Outflows
Source: First Bridge Data. Table is provided for illustrative purposes only. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Data as of 6/26/2019.
Click here for a print friendly version of this report
Copyright © 2019 Rieger Report® LLC. All rights reserved. Redistribution in whole or in part is prohibited without written permission of the Rieger Report® LLC. All information provided by the Rieger Report® LLC is for informational purposes only, impersonal, and not tailored to the needs of any person, entity or group or persons. It should not be considered financial advice. The Rieger Report® LLC receives compensation in connection with licensing its research, advertising on its website, speaking and consulting services.
Past performance of any investment product or index referenced in the Rieger Report® is not an indication of or guarantee of future results.
The Rieger Report® LLC is not an investment advisor, and the Rieger Report® LLC makes no representation regarding the advisability of investing in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle. A decision to invest in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle should not be made in reliance on any statements set forth in this document. Prospective investors are advised to make an investment in any such fund or other vehicle only after carefully considering the risks associated with investing in such funds, as detailed in an offering memorandum or similar document that is prepared by or on behalf of the issuer of the investment fund or other investment product or vehicle. A financial advisor should be contacted to determine what may be best for your individual needs. The Rieger Report® LLC is not a financial or tax advisor. A tax advisor should be consulted to evaluate the impact of any tax-exempt securities on portfolios and the tax consequences of making any particular investment decision. No legal relationship is created between you and Rieger Report® LLC.
The Rieger Report® LLC does not act as a fiduciary or investment advisor. While the Rieger Report® LLC has obtained information from sources it believes to be reliable, the Rieger Report® LLC does not perform any audit or undertake verification of any information it receives.
The Rieger Report® Rankings are opinions of relative ranking among the peer group analyzed as of the date expressed and not statements of facts. Rieger Report® model portfolios are intended for illustration only. Any opinion or analysis decisions are not to be construed as recommendations to purchase, hold or sell any securities or to make any investment decisions, and do not address the suitability of any security. The Rieger Report® LLC does not assume any obligation to update the content in this publication in any form or format.
Your use of any information from this document or presentation is at your own risk and without recourse against Rieger Report® LLC, its members, managers, or employees. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Rieger Report® LLC disclaims any and all liability in the event any information, commentary, analysis, and/or opinions prove to be inaccurate, incomplete or unreliable, or result in any investment or other losses.