Municipal Bond ETF Model Portfolio Rebalance for Q3 2019
Click the above image to enlarge.
Sources: VanEck Vector Funds, iShares by BlackRock, and The Vanguard Group. Table is provided for illustrative purposes only. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. TEY = Taxable Equivalent Yield calculated at an assumed 37% tax rate. Data as of 6/17/2019 unless noted: 16/14/2019, 25/31/2019.
Rebalancing objective: Generate incremental yield over market “beta” while maintaining duration risk exposure.
- Eliminating exposure to overpriced short term investment grade municipal bond market by reducing exposure in SUB from 5% in Q2 2019 to 0% as we enter Q3 2019.
- Reducing exposure to investment grade munis in general by dropping allocation in VTEB down to 40% from 45% in Q2 2019.
- Increasing exposure in SHYD for short term high yield municipal bonds from 30% in Q2 2019 to 35% for Q3 2019 taking advantage of incremental yields.
- Increasing exposure in HYD for high yield municipal bonds from 20% in Q2 2019 to 25% for Q3 2019 extendingboth duration and credit risk in return for incrementally higher yields.
- Staying as liquid as possible by using larger ETFs and that have options available on the ETF where possible and staying efficient by keeping management fees as low as possible.
- Taxable Equivalent Yield = Tax Exempt Yield / (1 – Federal Tax Rate)
- Taxable Equivalent Yield calculation is not perfect: for example, the municipal high yield sector has exposure to bonds subject to AMT and that is not included in the calculation.
- 2019 tax brackets, however not all tax brackets are represented herein
- End of day yields are used
- JR Rieger and or the Rieger Report LLC has not received compensation either directly or indirectly from the sponsor(s) of the ETF(s) included in this report.
- At the time of this writing, JR Rieger does not own the ETF(s) cited in this report.
Click here for a print friendly version of this report.
Copyright © 2019 Rieger Report LLC. All rights reserved. Redistribution in whole or in part is prohibited without written permission of the Rieger Report LLC. All information provided by the Rieger Report LLC is for informational purposes only, impersonal, and not tailored to the needs of any person, entity or group or persons. It should not be considered financial advice. The Rieger Report LLC receives compensation in connection with licensing its research, advertising on its website, speaking and consulting services.
Past performance of any investment product or index referenced in the Rieger Report is not an indication of or guarantee of future results.
The Rieger Report LLC is not an investment advisor, and the Rieger Report LLC makes no representation regarding the advisability of investing in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle. A decision to invest in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle should not be made in reliance on any statements set forth in this document. Prospective investors are advised to make an investment in any such fund or other vehicle only after carefully considering the risks associated with investing in such funds, as detailed in an offering memorandum or similar document that is prepared by or on behalf of the issuer of the investment fund or other investment product or vehicle. A financial advisor should be contacted to determine what may be best for your individual needs. The Rieger Report LLC is not a financial or tax advisor. A tax advisor should be consulted to evaluate the impact of any tax-exempt securities on portfolios and the tax consequences of making any particular investment decision. No legal relationship is created between you and Rieger Report LLC.
The Rieger Report LLC does not act as a fiduciary or investment advisor. While the Rieger Report LLC has obtained information from sources it believes to be reliable, the Rieger Report LLC does not perform any audit or undertake verification of any information it receives.
The Rieger Report Rankings and model portfolios are opinions of relative ranking among the peer group analyzed as of the date expressed and not statements of facts. Rieger Report model portfolios are intended for illustration only. Any opinion or analysis decisions are not to be construed as recommendations to purchase, hold or sell any securities or to make any investment decisions, and do not address the suitability of any security. The Rieger Report LLC does not assume any obligation to update the content in this publication in any form or format.
Your use of any information from this document or presentation is at your own risk and without recourse against Rieger Report LLC, its members, managers, or employees. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Rieger Report LLC disclaims any and all liability in the event any information, commentary, analysis, and/or opinions prove to be inaccurate, incomplete or unreliable, or result in any investment or other losses.Municipal Bond ETF Model Portfolio
Rebalance for Q1 2019
Click the above image to enlarge.