May 2019 Bond ETF Flow Report:
What are the May 2019 Bond ETF Flows Telling Us?
- May 2019 has been a risk off month as equity volatility, global geopolitical risk and trade discussions elevate concerns for the US economy.
- The bond ETFs that collected the most assets were the composite investment grade USD based bond indices including Vanguards BND and iShares AGG. Opportunity? Yield compression has taken prices higher. No need to chase this segment higher.
- Large outflows were seen in the USD high yield bond ETFs with both iShares HYG and SPDRs JNK each seeing outflows over $1.2billion in May alone. Opportunity? Looking for rising yields which could create a buy opportunity for these ETFs and go against the grain at that point.
- USD denominated emerging market bonds also were out of favor as iShares EMB saw outflows of over $1.1billion. Opportunity? Would like to see yields rise higher before taking on the incremental risks of this sector.
- The largest senior loan ETF, Invesco’s BKLN has seen dramatic outflows at month end netting out to $467million for the month. Opportunity? With the Fed holding rates down and no end in sight, floating rate senior loans lose a lot of appeal. Loans being out of favor in this circumstance creates a tactical opportunity to pick up some short duration higher yielding assets.
Bond ETF Flows May 2019:
Top Five Inflow ETFs
Bottom Five Outflows
Sources: First Bridge Data. Table is provided for illustrative purposes only. Past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Data as of 5/31/2019.
Copyright © 2019 Rieger Report LLC. All rights reserved. Redistribution in whole or in part is prohibited without written permission of the Rieger Report LLC. All information provided by the Rieger Report LLC is for informational purposes only, impersonal, and not tailored to the needs of any person, entity or group or persons. It should not be considered financial advice. The Rieger Report LLC receives compensation in connection with licensing its research, advertising on its website, speaking and consulting services.
Past performance of any investment product or index referenced in the Rieger Report is not an indication of or guarantee of future results.
The Rieger Report LLC is not an investment advisor, and the Rieger Report LLC makes no representation regarding the advisability of investing in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle. A decision to invest in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle should not be made in reliance on any statements set forth in this document. Prospective investors are advised to make an investment in any such fund or other vehicle only after carefully considering the risks associated with investing in such funds, as detailed in an offering memorandum or similar document that is prepared by or on behalf of the issuer of the investment fund or other investment product or vehicle. A financial advisor should be contacted to determine what may be best for your individual needs. The Rieger Report LLC is not a financial or tax advisor. A tax advisor should be consulted to evaluate the impact of any tax-exempt securities on portfolios and the tax consequences of making any particular investment decision. No legal relationship is created between you and Rieger Report LLC.
The Rieger Report LLC does not act as a fiduciary or investment advisor. While the Rieger Report LLC has obtained information from sources it believes to be reliable, the Rieger Report LLC does not perform any audit or undertake verification of any information it receives.
The Rieger Report Rankings are opinions of relative ranking among the peer group analyzed as of the date expressed and not statements of facts. Rieger Report model portfolios are intended for illustration only. Any opinion or analysis decisions are not to be construed as recommendations to purchase, hold or sell any securities or to make any investment decisions, and do not address the suitability of any security. The Rieger Report LLC does not assume any obligation to update the content in this publication in any form or format.
Your use of any information from this document or presentation is at your own risk and without recourse against Rieger Report LLC, its members, managers, or employees. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Rieger Report LLC disclaims any and all liability in the event any information, commentary, analysis, and/or opinions prove to be inaccurate, incomplete or unreliable, or result in any investment or other losses.Municipal Bond ETFs
Assets Under Management
Municipal Bond ETFs
Assets Under Management
Top 10 Municipal Bond ETFs