USD High Yield ETF Model Portfolio 1st Quarter 2019 (Update)
Observe the inversion:
- Yield relationship between JNK and SJNK have reversed. Short corporate junk bonds have moved cheaper than longer duration junk bonds (Canary in the coal mine? Did very risky junk evident itself on the short end? Prices for junk bonds move too high?)
- In any case, this signals to me that the initial 40% model allocation in JNK needs to be reconsidered
- Note: The initial weights (established in December 2018) for the model portfolio are maintained in the following data table for consistency and comparability to the original report: Rieger Report Initial High Yield ETF Model Portfolio
- Selecting to move allocation either shorter into SJNK or municipal high yield seems warranted given the yield compression seen in JNK
- Short term high yield municipal bonds continue to be rich relative to other options
USD High Yield ETF Model Portfolio Allocations for 1st Quarter 2019 (Updated)
Data as February 19, 2019.
Sources: State Street Global Advisors and VanEck. TEY = Taxable Equivalent Yield and assumes a 37% Federal tax rate. 1. Yield averages calculated using Taxable Equivalent Yields and are used for illustrative purposes only.
For Reference: Year-to-date Index Yield Change (Bps)
Data as February 19, 2019.
Source: S&P Dow Jones Indices, LLC.
- JR Rieger or the Rieger Report LLC has not received compensation either directly or indirectly from the sponsor(s) of the ETF(s) included in this report.
- At the time of this writing, JR Rieger does not own the ETF(s) cited in this report.
Copyright © 2019 Rieger Report LLC. All rights reserved. Redistribution in whole or in part is prohibited without written permission of the Rieger Report LLC. All information provided by the Rieger Report LLC is for informational purposes only, impersonal, and not tailored to the needs of any person, entity or group or persons. It should not be considered financial advice. The Rieger Report LLC receives compensation in connection with licensing its research, advertising on its website, speaking and consulting services.
Past performance of any investment product or index referenced in the Rieger Report is not an indication of or guarantee of future results.
The Rieger Report LLC is not an investment advisor, and the Rieger Report LLC makes no representation regarding the advisability of investing in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle. A decision to invest in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle should not be made in reliance on any statements set forth in this document. Prospective investors are advised to make an investment in any such fund or other vehicle only after carefully considering the risks associated with investing in such funds, as detailed in an offering memorandum or similar document that is prepared by or on behalf of the issuer of the investment fund or other investment product or vehicle. A financial advisor should be contacted to determine what may be best for your individual needs. The Rieger Report LLC is not a financial or tax advisor. A tax advisor should be consulted to evaluate the impact of any tax-exempt securities on portfolios and the tax consequences of making any particular investment decision. No legal relationship is created between you and Rieger Report LLC.
The Rieger Report LLC does not act as a fiduciary or investment advisor. While the Rieger Report LLC has obtained information from sources it believes to be reliable, the Rieger Report LLC does not perform any audit or undertake verification of any information it receives.
The Rieger Report Rankings are opinions of relative ranking among the peer group analyzed as of the date expressed and not statements of facts. Rieger Report model portfolios are intended for illustration only. Any opinion or analysis decisions are not to be construed as recommendations to purchase, hold or sell any securities or to make any investment decisions, and do not address the suitability of any security. The Rieger Report LLC does not assume any obligation to update the content in this publication in any form or format.
Your use of any information from this document or presentation is at your own risk and without recourse against Rieger Report LLC, its members, managers, or employees. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Rieger Report LLC disclaims any and all liability in the event any information, commentary, analysis, and/or opinions prove to be inaccurate, incomplete or unreliable, or result in any investment or other losses.