Why I like Insured Municipal Bonds
- Although it has narrowed, the spread between uninsured and insured bonds still favors insured bonds. Stated another way, all else being equal, the yield for insured bonds is still higher than uninsured bonds.
- I get an added layer of security by buying insured bonds over uninsured bonds and at cheaper yields…so why not?
- That yield differential changes over time and has been narrowing as seen recently in this period of equity market volatility.
- Liquidity: In some cases, the bond insurance doesn’t help the secondary market liquidity of a bond. That is a negative to consider.
- Although insured, I try to look at the underlying credit capabilities of the issuer. I have been looking for insured essential purpose bonds such as utility (i.e. electric, water & sewer) and general obligation bonds.
- One actively managed insured municipal bond ETF that I have my eye on is the IQ Mackay Insured Municipal Bond ETF (MMIN). I like the low management fee of 30bps, ease of access to the insured muni market via the ETF structure.
- Assured Guaranty is rated AA (Stable by S&P Global Ratings, A2 Stable by Moody’s and AA Stable by KRBA (Source: www.assuredguaranty.com )
- Build America Bond (BAM) is rated AA (Stable) by S&P Global Ratings (Source: www.buildamerica.com)
- NPFG (MBIA): The underlying bond credit quality should be carefully considered prior to buying bonds insured by MBIA.
Insured v. Broad Market Muni Index Yields (YTW)
Data as of 10/17/2018.
Sources: Municipal bond yields sourced from S&P Dow Jones Indices www.spdji.com. Chart is provided for illustrative purposes only.
- At this writing JR does not own the Exchange Traded Fund (ETF) mentioned in this report.
- JR Rieger or the Rieger Report LLC. is not compensated in any way by the sponsor of the ETF.
- Between July 1st and July 13th 2018, JR Rieger purchased insured municipal bonds and AA and higher rated municipal bonds in the 8 – 14 year maturity range. In September 2018 JR Rieger purchased insured municipal bonds in the 10 year range.
Copyright © 2018 Rieger Report LLC. All rights reserved. Redistribution in whole or in part is prohibited without written permission of the Rieger Report LLC. All information provided by the Rieger Report LLC is for informational purposes only, impersonal, and not tailored to the needs of any person, entity or group or persons. It should not be considered financial advice. The Rieger Report LLC receives compensation in connection with licensing its research, advertising on its website, speaking and consulting services.
Past performance of any investment product or index referenced in the Rieger Report is not an indication of or guarantee of future results.
The Rieger Report LLC is not an investment advisor, and the Rieger Report LLC makes no representation regarding the advisability of investing in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle. A decision to invest in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle should not be made in reliance on any statements set forth in this document. Prospective investors are advised to make an investment in any such fund or other vehicle only after carefully considering the risks associated with investing in such funds, as detailed in an offering memorandum or similar document that is prepared by or on behalf of the issuer of the investment fund or other investment product or vehicle. A financial advisor should be contacted to determine what may be best for your individual needs. The Rieger Report LLC is not a financial or tax advisor. A tax advisor should be consulted to evaluate the impact of any tax-exempt securities on portfolios and the tax consequences of making any particular investment decision. No legal relationship is created between you and Rieger Report LLC.
The Rieger Report LLC does not act as a fiduciary or investment advisor. While the Rieger Report LLC has obtained information from sources it believes to be reliable, the Rieger Report LLC does not perform any audit or undertake verification of any information it receives.
The Rieger Report Rankings are opinions of relative ranking among the peer group analyzed as of the date expressed and not statements of facts. Rieger Report model portfolios are intended for illustration only. Any opinion or analysis decisions are not to be construed as recommendations to purchase, hold or sell any securities or to make any investment decisions, and do not address the suitability of any security. The Rieger Report LLC does not assume any obligation to update the content in this publication in any form or format.
Your use of any information from this document or presentation is at your own risk and without recourse against Rieger Report LLC, its members, managers, or employees. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Rieger Report LLC disclaims any and all liability in the event any information, commentary, analysis, and/or opinions prove to be inaccurate, incomplete or unreliable, or result in any investment or other losses.