Munis: Key Takeaways: Market Absorbs New Supply
- Short end still rich (0 – 3 year range) relative to other options available (including dividends, UST and corporate bonds)
- Long end did see pressure to move cheaper as new issue supply increased but stayed in line with UST yields. AA and A rated long end saw more volatility.
- Muni v corporate bonds: excluding the short end of the curve, yields of AA and higher munis are still attractive for higher tax bracket market participants
- I.G. municipal bond ETFs are good options for beta exposure: iShares MUB and Vanguard VTEB are two good examples
- iShares National Municipal Bond (MUB): SEC 30 Day Yield 2.46%1 (Taxable Equivalent Yield1= 3.9%)
- Vanguard National Municipal (VTEB): SEC 30 Day Yield: 2.52%1 (Taxable Equivalent YIeld1= 4.0%)
- Vanguard Intermediate Term Corporate (VCIT): SEC 30 Day Yield: 3.99%1
- iShares iBoxx Investment Grade Corporate (LQD): SEC 30 Day Yield: 4.07%1
- High yield muni bond ETFs still appear attractive: VanEck Vectors HYD and SPDR HYMB are two good examples
- VanEck Vectors High Yield Municipal (HYD): SEC 30 Day Yield 4.01%2 (Taxable Equivalent YIeld1 = 6.36%)
- SPDR Nuveen S&P High Yield Municipal (HYMB): SEC 30 Day Yield 3.85%1 (Taxable Equivalent YIeld1 = 6.11%)
- Taxable Equivalent Yield assumes a 37% federal tax rate. Data as of 9/6/2018.
- Data as of 9/7/2018.
Data as of 9/7/2018
Sources: Municipal bond yields sourced from The Bond Buyer www.bondbuyer.com Data Workstation and MBIS www.mbis.com , U.S. Treasury bond yields sourced from the U.S. Department of the Treasury www.treasury.gov and the S&P 500 Dividend Yield was sourced from S&P Dow Jones Indices www.spdji.com . Current indicated dividend yield is used. Chart is provided for illustrative purposes only.
Data as of 9/7/2018
Sources: Municipal bond yields sourced from the Bond Buyer Data Workstation www.bondbuyer.com and MBIS www.mbis.com Municipal Yield Curves, U.S. Treasury bond yields sourced from the U.S. Department of the Treasury http://www.treasury.gov. Chart is provided for illustrative purposes only. TEY = Taxable Equivalent Yield at tax rate assumption stated.
Data as of 9/7/2018
Sources: Apple Inc. bond yields provided by SQX https://sqx.com/. Municipal bond yields sourced from the Bond Buyer Data Workstation www.bondbuyer.com and MBIS www.mbis.com. Chart is provided for illustrative purposes only. TEY = Taxable Equivalent Yield at tax rate assumption stated.
Data as of 9/7/2018
Sources: Apple Inc. bond yields provided by SQX https://sqx.com/ . Municipal bond yields sourced from the Bond Buyer Data Workstation www.bondbuyer.com and MBIS www.mbis.com. U.S. Treasury bond yields sourced from U.S. Department of the Treasury www.treasury.gov. Chart is provided for illustrative purposes only. TEY = Taxable Equivalent Yield at tax rate assumption stated.
Data Resources Used in this Report:
- Municipal bond yields: the Bond Buyer Data Workstation https://dataworkstation.bondbuyer.com/
- Municipal bond yields: MBIS https://mbis.com/
- Apple Inc. bond yields: SQX https://sqx.com/
- U.S. Treasury bond yields: U.S. Department of Treasury https://www.treasury.gov
- Taxable Equivalent Yield = Tax Exempt Yield / (1 – Federal Tax Rate)
- 2018 tax brackets, however not all tax brackets are represented herein
- End of day yields are used
- JR Rieger and or the Rieger Report LLC has not received compensation either directly or indirectly from the sponsor(s) of the ETF(s) included in this report.
- At the time of this writing, JR Rieger does not own the ETF(s) cited in this report, nor bonds issued by Apple Inc.
- Between July 1st and July 13th 2018, JR Rieger purchased insured municipal bonds and AA and higher rated municipal bonds in the 8 – 14 year maturity range.
Copyright © 2018 Rieger Report LLC. All rights reserved. Redistribution in whole or in part is prohibited without written permission of the Rieger Report LLC. All information provided by the Rieger Report LLC is for informational purposes only, impersonal, and not tailored to the needs of any person, entity or group or persons. It should not be considered financial advice. The Rieger Report LLC receives compensation in connection with licensing its research, advertising on its website, speaking and consulting services.
Past performance of any investment product or index referenced in the Rieger Report is not an indication of or guarantee of future results.
The Rieger Report LLC is not an investment advisor, and the Rieger Report LLC makes no representation regarding the advisability of investing in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle. A decision to invest in any such investment fund or other investment vehicle should not be made in reliance on any statements set forth in this document. Prospective investors are advised to make an investment in any such fund or other vehicle only after carefully considering the risks associated with investing in such funds, as detailed in an offering memorandum or similar document that is prepared by or on behalf of the issuer of the investment fund or other investment product or vehicle. A financial advisor should be contacted to determine what may be best for your individual needs. The Rieger Report LLC is not a financial or tax advisor. A tax advisor should be consulted to evaluate the impact of any tax-exempt securities on portfolios and the tax consequences of making any particular investment decision. No legal relationship is created between you and Rieger Report LLC.
The Rieger Report LLC does not act as a fiduciary or investment advisor. While the Rieger Report LLC has obtained information from sources it believes to be reliable, the Rieger Report LLC does not perform any audit or undertake verification of any information it receives.
The Rieger Report Rankings are opinions of relative ranking among the peer group analyzed as of the date expressed and not statements of facts. Rieger Report model portfolios are intended for illustration only. Any opinion or analysis decisions are not to be construed as recommendations to purchase, hold or sell any securities or to make any investment decisions, and do not address the suitability of any security. The Rieger Report LLC does not assume any obligation to update the content in this publication in any form or format.
Your use of any information from this document or presentation is at your own risk and without recourse against Rieger Report LLC, its members, managers, or employees. To the maximum extent permitted by law, Rieger Report LLC disclaims any and all liability in the event any information, commentary, analysis, and/or opinions prove to be inaccurate, incomplete or unreliable, or result in any investment or other losses.